Monday, April 10, 2006

Who Am I?


Who am I . . . theologically?
One of the problems of attempting to align more fully with Scripture than with the tradition (by that I mean denomination or group functioning as a denomination) one finds most comfortable, is that, eventually, one may begin to experience a "theological identity crisis" (TIC). Most traditions have much to be emulated, but no tradition perfectly embodies the balance and grace the Scriptures call for. A person in this place, can find critics in nearly every place who dislike his unwillingness to conform inspite of conscience and Scriptural convictions. Surely, not everything is a hill to die on, but some things are! The discomfort felt by anyone experiencing a TIC is exacerbated by the ubiquitous lack of charity toward anyone who disagrees in any way with the status quo.
For Example
I consider myself: Christian, Reformed, Charismatic, Presbyterian, Apostolic, and Paedo-baptist. What a mix! Where do I fit in? These terms are not nearly as univocally understood as I would hope, so let me clarify just a little.
By Christian, I mean one who banks his eternal destiny on the truth claims of Jesus Christ. I trust in His Obedience, as my Substitute, to have atoned for my sins and clothed me with infinite righteousness that is not my own. I am indwelt by the Holy Spirit Who testifies with my spirit that I am a son of God and He empowers me to gospel-motivated obedience.
By Reformed, I mean one who seeks to live all of life conscious of God's immediate presence; one who understands the Scriptures to be the infallible and inerrant Word of God; one who holds to the five points of Calvinism, not because of Calvin, but because I see them taught plainly in the Bible; and one who wants to continue testing everything against the standard of Scripture.
By Charismatic, I mean one who is not only open to but earnestly desiring and pursuing all the gifts of the Spirit (i.e., Tongues, Teaching, Prophecy, Administration, etc.). When I pray for someone to be healed, I truly expect God to heal them. Sometimes, in a worship service, God tells me something to say or shows me a picture to share in order to encourage, comfort, or edify. I pray in Tongues because I (along with the Apostle Paul) don't know what to pray for (Romans 8:26), but the Holy Spirit does. I know that when I am teaching or preaching or speaking wisdom into someone's life, that is just as much empowered by the Holy Spirit, and all His gifts are gracious!
By Presbyterian (elder-ruled), I mean one who sees in Scripture that God's design is that the local church be governed by a plurality and parity of Elders.
By Apostolic, I mean one who believes in present day apostles. I know that the first Apostles were unique and uniquely gifted, but the giftedness and function of the apostle is still very much in need today. The New Testament doesn't show missionaries being sent out, but Apostles sent out to plant and father local churches, creating a Gospel-presence in dark areas.
By Paedo-baptist, I mean one who sees Scriptural evidence requiring believing parents to baptize their infants in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; preferably by sprinkling or pouring, but not ruling out immersion and recognizing that this does not guarantee salvation. Since there is only one Covenant of Grace and several administrations of it, all building up to fulness in Christ, there is a built in unity to the entire Bible. In the Old Testament, the children of believers were required to receive a physical sign testifying to God's promises of Grace to all who repent and believe. This requirement was in force throughout the Old Testament and was never repealed by Christ and was the universal practice of the Christian Church at least up to a couple of hundred years past the death of the last of the original Apostles. According to Colossians 2:11-12, circumcision was replaced with the more widely applicable Baptism. Therefore, all new adult converts should be baptized and all children of at least one believing parent. I understand why credo-baptists stand where they do and I wouldn't question their sincerity, nor would I have a problem working side-by-side with them. The very clear and therefore, most binding thing, is that you are baptized if you profess faith in Jesus Christ.

TIC For Everyone, but not Schizophrenia!
I wonder if everyone should experience something of a TIC in pursuit of full submission to Christ. Is it healthy for one to belong to a certain tradition (no matter what it is) and never disagree with anything? Certainly, I've not seen every church, but my experience has led me to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a perfect church on planet Earth. Not that I'd know perfection if I saw it, but everywhere I've been other people are found critiquing something. Maybe its healthy to recognize the tension between the Christian's call to fully obey Scripture and the call to live in unity with other believers. It is not healthy, though, to reach a point of Schizophrenia where one never knows from moment to moment which way is up.
Belonging found in Christ
It is enough to be found in Christ when you feel isolated and miss belonging somewhere. Please don't misunderstand me! Christ wants every believer connected to a local church! We are saved to be part of a body of people together accomplishing a mission. But being a member of a church and agreeing with everything taught do not always go together. Usually discerning believers have to prioritize their convictions- which should be prioritized according to their weight and clarity in Scripture- and then become a part of the team in a church maintaining the essentials.
Nonetheless, lonlieness still finds you. It is then when you must remember that you are inseparably in Christ! You are indwelt by the Holy Spirit who is forever pouring the love of God into your heart! You are cherished by the Father! So, even if you feel like you don't belong where you are. . . remember, you belong with God! and that's what ultimately matters. Dive deeply into your relationship with Christ and find in Him enough power and love to fill you up and then overflow to those you are connected with for the sake of the gospel!
Keep up the journey!
If you find yourself in a TIC, keep up the journey! Keep pursuing full obedience to Christ and love everyone you come into contact with. We should never take on a superior attitude just because we disagree with something. Nor should we isolate ourselves from fellowship and co-labor with those with whom we disagree. May everyone who watches from the sidelines find us earnest in pursing Christ, humble, approachable, loving, and uncritical.

1 comment:

LPC said...

Nice blogspot Daniel,

I too have been in theological identity crisises, myself. I even sometimes do not know who I am.

I need the Bible to tell me who I am and what I am.

There are others in the same path as you I am sure.

Cheers,

Lito